Charity & Good Causes
ENABLING PEOPLE TO CONNECT
As an INDEPENDENT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE we are set up to bring people together to connect and socialise. We enable people to make friends. We help people get the most out of enjoying a good social life. Over the years our efforts and dedication has helped countless thousands of people to make new friends, bringing our community closer together.
LIFE CAN BE BETTER...
IF EACH OF US DO WHAT WE CAN
As well as all the good work we do in providing the opportunity for our members to enjoy a wonderful social life and make lots of friends, we also try to support charities and good causes wherever we can, and do our bit to make the world a better place.
In recent years The Social Group has done what it can to support numerous good causes, including...
The Monkey Sanctuary, Cornwall
Paignton Zoo Tiger Conservation
Reef Relief Marine Conservation
Help The Bees
Help For Heroes
Cancer Research UK
Arthritis Research UK
M.E. North Devon
Wedmore Festival, Somerset
Children's Hospice South West (Cornwall, Devon, and Bristol)
In the past, members of our team have offered assistance to helping organise a team of volunteers with the decoration of accommodation for students, creating a wildlife pond for a local school, and encouraging local councils to plant out areas of wild flower meadows while reducing use of herbicides and pesticdes.
Each winter, we do what we can via our network of Twitter and web site pages and all our local contacts to co-ordinate information during heavy snow, acting like an additional Emergency Service, making sure no-one is left isolated or cut off and in danger in the cold, and passing on useful travel updates.
Behind the scenes we do a lot to help people who are especially lonely, doing additional work to help prevent loneliness and social isolation.
We also do our bit to advise sufferers, relatives of sufferers, and doctors about M.E. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, trying to promote a greater understanding of how serious this horrible illness actually is and how difficult this makes life for people when they cannot use any muscles without severe pain.
Earlier this year, we started and encouraged a campaign on Twitter to ask people to pop next door and offer help to their blue badge neighbours. We know from personal experience that, if you look okay, very few people ever think to offer to help you. You hear lots of people bragging how many hours they put in at the gym or how far they ran or cycled, who never think to put just some of that energy to better use in offering to mow the lawn or paint a ceiling of someone less fortunate with their health.
We also do what we can to support environmental and wildlife protection campaigns. After the 2011 revolution in Egypt, our backing helped persuade the new authorities to secure protection for the beautiful Ras Mohammed Marine National Park coral reefs along the Red Sea coast, which some of our members will know from previous Social Group Holidays to Sharm-El-Sheikh. More recently we have been supporting the campaign to protect the unspoilt Ningaloo Reef from development and oil explorarion in remote North Western Australia.
Recently we were asked to give talks on social networking and helping others to a local primary school, doing our best to make it interesting to the children by telling them about our visit around the world from Exmouth Devon to Exmouth Australia with The Social Group.
It's our view that whatever you can do all contributes to making the world a better place.
THE SOCIAL GROUP - A FORCE FOR GOOD SINCE 1997...
- We have helped countless thousands of people to make friends
- We have helped countless thousands of people to enjoy a better social life
- Numerous people have enjoyed good times and good company
- Numerous people have tried new things and enjoyed new experiences
- Numerous people have travelled with us, some going abroad for the first time
- Numerous people have enjoyed great social events
- Numerous people have been less alone
- Numerous people have found socialising has boosted their confidence
- Numerous people have made a lifelong friend
- Numerous people have found romance, with some having got married
THE SOCIAL GROUP - UK HIGHLIGHTS...
- So many good times in Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, and Bristol areas
- Over the years, meeting so many interesting and really nice people
- Numerous 'dining out' events at a wide variety of restaurants and country pubs
- Numerous dinner dances and parties, with live entertainment and discos
- Seeing people who met through our efforts having the time of their lives
- Numerous top end black tie balls and masquerade balls
- 1920's themed vintage dinner party evenings
- Enjoyable quiz evenings
- Social Group Convention weekend with Basil Fawlty lookalike and party night
- Guided tour of The Eden Project
- Miniature golf and seafront dining out
- Afternoon cream tea at the luxurious five star Bovey Castle
- 'Heroes' themed Fancy Dress Party & Disco
- Treasure Hunt around Paignton Zoo, raising money for wildlife conservation
- Treasure Hunt around Torquay and around Babbacombe Model Village
- Wine and cheese tasting, with vineyard tour and pub lunch
- Food and drink themed weekend, with vineyard tour, murder mystery, and cookery demonstrations
- Pop concerts - including Keane, The Undertones, James Blunt, Katherine Jenkins
- Rock Concerts - including Bon Jovi, Oasis, Bryan Adams, Coldplay
- Classical productions - including Ballet, Opera, and Last Night of the Proms
- Pizza, film quiz, and cinema evenings
- Going to the theatre to see Buddy, Spamalot, Dad's Army, and other great shows
- Live Comedy - including Ken Dodd, Jimmy Carr, Jason Manford, Sarah Millican, Andy Parsons
- James Bond themed ball in a stately home, with casino and live singer
- Pirate-themed real ale festival, with live band and disco
- High ropes activity day, with members trying out the trapeze
- Climbing through the trees at Go Ape in the beautiful Forest of Dean
- Tandem skydive and parachute jump
- Dartmoor weekend, with falconry, canoeing, and visit to Victorian Village and Mine
- Country walks, with Social Group Ramblers
- Moorland walking with llamas, with picnic lunch
- Various indoor activities - including table tennis, bowling, skittles, quasar, karting, archery
- Various outdoor activities - including clay shooting, caving, abseiling, high ropes
- Canoe Adventure, with picnic on the river bank
- River Boat Trips - Fowey, Tamar, Dart, Exe, Avon
- Seal, dolphin and bird watching boat trips along the coast
- Horse Riding - Bodmin Moor, Dartmoor, Exmoor, and Mendips
- Quad biking and BBQ activity afternoon
- Coach Trip to American Adventure theme park in Derbyshire
- Coach Trip to Alton Towers theme park in Staffordshire and Cadbury World in Birmingham
- Real snow skiing, snowboarding, and tobogganing, with Oompah Party, at Tamworth Snowdome
- Short break to the North, with Robbie Williams in concert in Sheffield and ghost hunt in York
- Short break to the beautiful Lake District, seeing Buttermere on a perfect day
- Christmas Parties, with festive dinner, all the trimmings, and dancing to live music and disco
- New Year's Eve spectacular, with canapes, champagne, dinner, fireworks, live band, and disco
SOCIAL GROUP HOLIDAYS - WORLDWIDE HIGHLIGHTS...
- TRAVEL TO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, ALL OVER THE WORLD!
- Coach trip weekend to beautiful medieval towns in Brittany
- Guided tour of an historic French Chateau in Brittany and crepes for lunch
- Coach trip to the Italian Alps, with boat trip around the shores of Lake Garda
- Exploring the stunning St Mark's Square and riding on gondolas through beautiful Venice in Italy
- Winter skiing holiday - resorts have included the Alps and North America
- Dining at a taverna by the beach in Crete, while the sun sets over the Libyan Sea
- Exploring the White Mountains and beautiful gorges of Crete, with swimming from a remote shore
- Visit to the ancient Minoan palaces on Crete, with visit to Heraklion Archaeological Museum
- Riding camels across the Sinai Desert with Bedouin tribesmen and visiting St Catherine's Monastery
- Scuba diving in the Red Sea, amongst the most beautiful coral reefs and tropical fish
- Caribbean Cruise, visiting beautiful tropical islands, with all you can eat on the ship and free shows
- Cruise holiday from Miami to Mexico, also visiting the Florida Keys
- Exploring the Wild West National Parks of the USA - including Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Death Valley
- Watching an authentic rodeo in the high mountains of Utah
- Helicopter flight through the Grand Canyon and Colorado river rafting down Black Canyon
- Hiring leisure cruiser boats on Lake Mead, sailing up to the Hoover Dam, with a picnic on a desert shore
- Meeting Hollywood actor Owen Wilson and singer Peter Andre in Las Vegas
- Seeing the lights and sights of Las Vegas at night in a stretch limo, cruising by the Bellagio Fountains
- Beaming up to the Enterprise and talking to Klingons and Ferengi at the Star Trek Experience, Las Vegas
- Exploring China Town in Singapore, with a fab Dim Sum lunch, and visiting the Night Zoo after dark
- Coach trip to beautiful Orchid Gardens and traditional fishing village in Malaysia
- Elephant trekking through the "Bridge On The River Kwai" rainforest of Kanchanaburi in Thailand
- Boat tour of Thai islands, with canoe trip inside hollow islands, with rare iguanas and bats
- Sailing around Hong Kong harbour at night, with dinner at the Jumbo floating restaurant
- Personal tour of the Western Australian Parliament with the Speaker Of The House Of Commons
- Going on safari across the Australian Outback in Cape Range National Park and seeing a shark
- Swimming with wild dolphins at Monkey Mia dolphin reserve in remote Western Australia
- Relaxing on some of the most beautiful beaches in the world
Obviously, all the people we have helped connect and interact is a very special thing for us, having helped countless thousands to make friends and enjoy a better social life!
The weddings we have been invited to, of members who have met due to our dedication and hard work, have meant a lot to us.
And last, but certainly not least, we are immensely proud of coming up with the original idea for social networking, which has done so much to bring people together all around the world.
ENJOY YOUR LIFE!